Monday, March 18, 2013

How I was Awakened to the Bright side


I was in Barnes and Nobles one day, and I came across the 'Self help' section which was pretty huge with almost 5 big shelves filled with books. There were about 10 people browsing through the books kept in this section, which made me curious. So,  I started browsing through the contents of some of these books as well.  The contents basically explained ways to achieve success in career, relationships, academics, etc. There were a lot of short stories of successful people in many of these books, but what caught my eye was, every success story had a basic foundation - 'Positive Thinking'. Every successful businessman, author, political leader, sportsperson who have achieved more than what we can probably only imagine had one success mantra - A positive approach to life. 

We all have heard and/or read the book called 'The Secret'. That was the only self help book I had read until last year ( I never knew there was a category called 'self-help', before I saw it in Barnes and nobles). The Secret revolves around the principle of Law of Attraction, which states that every event in our life, good or bad, we attract it through our thoughts. The first thought that crossed my mind when I read the book in 2007 was, its ridiculous. I could not accept the idea that you wish for something and the universe will grant you the wish. (I was a foolish college kid busy indulging myself in self destructive behavior, so I can excuse myself ).  When I came to The states, I met a lot of people from different religious and cultural background, some of them who knew about the Hindu religion and practices more than I did. It took me 23 years and few embarrassing moments to actually start reading about my own religion, and I am glad it happened. While researching I came across the word 'Karma', which in Hinduism is defined as 'an action, seen as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad, either in this life or in a reincarnation'.  The principle of Karma can be related to Newton's third law 'Every action has equal and opposite reaction'. Basically, as you sow, so will you reap. While reading about Karma, I remembered the contents of The Secret, And now things started to make sense to me (my brain was much matured). To think is also an action, and if every action has equal and opposite reaction, then maybe thinking can bring about a significant reaction in form of events in life. 


Thus I continued my pursuit to find out more about the mind over matter thing. And believe me or not, I did find a lot of material, audios and videos which talk about our mind controlling the universe for us. The problem is, not a lot of people believe in this stuff, and some people naturally use this principle for their purpose. In my next blog I will be discussing the physical effects of positive and negative emotions (or thoughts) and reasons why only a few people benefit from this. 


.HyperSmash

2 comments:

  1. Agree...I strongly believe in the quote, "When you want something, the whole universe conspires to help you realize your desire".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great information. I love the concept of thoughts being actions that create reactions.

    ReplyDelete